Mexico Cruise 2007 (4 of 4)

Back to Page 3

On the fifth day, we arrived to Puerto Vallarta, where the same five of us had signed up for a canopy adventure in the nearby mountains. Unfortunately, Sandy wasn't well enough to go out, so Haley took her place.

DSC_4115 DSC_4115.JPG
Ping-pong was the only sport going.

DSC_4117 DSC_4117.JPG
Our state room in its usual state.

DSC_4119 DSC_4119.JPG
Tedd in his unusual state.

DSC_4218 DSC_4218.JPG
The stateroom after the steward had done his daily clean-up. (Notice the towel animal on the left.)

DSC_4221 DSC_4221.JPG
The bathroom was compact, but didn't feel crowded (unless more than one person tried to use it simultaneously).

DSC_4120 DSC_4120.JPG
Puerto Vallarta, complete with barbecue smell and gaping gutters.

DSC_4123 DSC_4123.JPG
I got the feeling these were the upscale apartments.

DSC_4141 DSC_4141.JPG
In the afternoon, we took a short boat ride to get to the headquarters of the adventure company that would take us up and into the trees of the tropical forest.

DSC_4153 DSC_4153.JPG
Little boat and BIIG boat.

DSC_4161 DSC_4161.JPG
Hat flew off
Tedd reaching after his hat, which almost blew out the back of the open-air van we rode up to the rainforest.

DSC_4163 DSC_4163.JPG
Yes, the hand-holds were necessary, as we found out on the later part of our ride.

DSC_4167 DSC_4167.JPG
Another van of victims, who called out warnings that we should turn back before it was too late.

DSC_4178 DSC_4178.JPG
Our destination.

I'm not sure what his job was, exactly, or why it required a hard-hat, but this poor donkey was still tied up to the same tree when we left.
Owner Tessala Larson

CanopyPlatform CanopyPlatform.jpg
The platform in the foreground is one of two dozen or so throughout the forest, connected by ziplines or bridges to other platforms. Our mission was to traverse from one to the next while dangling by a harness.
Keywords hdr

DSC_4183 DSC_4183.JPG
Heading down to the briefing station.

DSC_4185 DSC_4185.JPG
Our illustrious group leader. There were about five groups with five or six guides and up to fifteen participants going simultaneously.

DSC_4181 DSC_4181.JPG
One of the guides demostrating the final descent (repel) to the forest floor, which we would be doing at the end. Sadly, I have no photos of the adventure itself, as cameras all had to be left at base. (Safety, or an additional strategy for selling the DVD of our experience at the end? Hmmm...)

DSC_4194 DSC_4194.JPG
It was getting dark by the time we climbed into the truck again to head back to our port. Our outgoing driver was a bit crazy, and we were flying all over the place despite our seatbelts and hand-holds.

DSC_4205 DSC_4205.JPG
The sunset was beautiful, as we caught glimpses of it on the drive back.

DessertParty1 DessertParty1.jpg
Later that evening was a fancy dessert party around the mid-deck pool, with cool ice sculptures and gorgeous victuals.
Keywords hdr, photoshop

DSC_4255 DSC_4255.JPG
One of several intricately carved watermelons, with special effects added by the camera being in the wrong flash mode.

DSC_4262 DSC_4262.JPG
Probably not the chef's first go at baking.

DSC_4263 DSC_4263.JPG
The crocodiles were an endangered species, and disappeared to trophy collectors' tables early on.

DSC_4272 DSC_4272.JPG
Focus is sharp on the booze in the background.

DSC_4273 DSC_4273.JPG
Mom gets in the act.

DSC_4285a DSC_4285a.jpg
Our final day began as all the rest -- sleeping in late.
Keywords funny, photoshop

DSC_4294 DSC_4294.JPG
Sandy was finally on her feet again after catching a nasty sinus infection mid-cruise and missing out on the canopy excursion.

DSC_4298 DSC_4298.JPG
Alina playing solitaire during cocktail hour.
Owner Tessala Larson

DSC_4310 DSC_4310.JPG

DSC_4317 DSC_4317.JPG
Haley and April looking classy.

DSC_4319 DSC_4319.JPG
The Brothers Grinn.
Owner April Ward

DSC_4331 DSC_4331.JPG
Tempo Quartet
Our favorite act was the hard-working Romanian Tempo Quartet, who played three to four hours every night.

DSC_4335 DSC_4335.JPG
Back in San Diego, we got into the long holiday check-in queue, which actually moved pretty quickly. We still had four hours to wait after that for our flights, but enjoyed the benefit of free wireless to catch up with our e-friends.

Back to Page 3

Return to Places

Return to Snapshots

Return to Greg's homepage

Page created Dec 23 2007 7:38:05p